Supporting Hydrogen Fueling Solutions
L-Series Hydrogen Generator
Large-scale, on-demand hydrogen generators
e1’s L-Series hydrogen generator uses our advanced fuel reforming and hydrogen purification technology to convert a mixture of methanol and water into fuel cell grade high-purity hydrogen, on-site and on-demand delivering the lowest total cost of hydrogen for refueling solutions.
The L-Series was designed to displace expensive and power hungry electrolyzers, with an affordable and scalable solution that provides a significantly lower capital cost entry point for fuel cell electric vehicle (FCEV) and material handling (lift truck) refueling applications.
- Lowest total cost of hydrogen: Converts an environmentally friendly, easily handled, readily available, and hydrogen dense feedstock blend of methanol and DI water into fuel cell grade high-purity hydrogen at the lowest delivered cost per kilogram.
- Lowest initial cost of equipment: Lower capital cost compared to legacy electrolyzer and natural gas reformer solutions. Under the license, manufactured cost pathway of L100 (100 kg/d of hydrogen production) in low production volumes is less than 1/3 the price of an equivalent commercial electrolyzer solution.
- Scalable: The L-Series is scalable from 50 kg/d to 500 kg/d. Each additional increment of 50 kg/d of hydrogen produced can be scaled with a low additional capital cost.
- State of the art controls: Fully-automated Woodward Flex 500 control modules provides state of the art operation and safety. Expandable to include the complete refueling system and remote communication.
- Limited power requirements: Requires minimal electrical power (<2kW) allowing for use in urban environments with reduced available electrical infrastructure.
- Compact design: Small footprint allows for flexible installation into both existing and proposed fueling locations.
- Allows for expanded hydrogen deployments: On-site hydrogen generation overcomes local regulations and restrictions limiting bulk hydrogen deliveries, especially in desired urban areas and provides inexpensive hydrogen for locations far removed from industrial hydrogen production sources expanding hydrogen availability for FCEV’s.
- Reduced and simple maintenance: Advanced catalytic reforming process and proprietary membrane purifier have few moving parts, robust design and a long lifetime.
- 100% flexible hydrogen production: Reduces feedstock and hydrogen waste and provides easy support for variable hydrogen demand.
- Reduced emissions: No particulate matter and less than 70% CO2 emissions compared to an electrolyzer solution using electrical power derived from coal or natural gas. If renewable methanol is used, zero net CO2 emissions.
Fuel Station Target Uses
- Heavy duty fuel cell buses and delivery trucks
- Materials handling lift trucks and container handlers
- Industrial gas
- FCEV automobile
Frequently Asked Questions
How much Hydrogen does the L-Series hydrogen generator produce?
The L-Series incorporates modular reactor and purifier components and can economically scale to produce from 50 kg to 500 kg/d of pure hydrogen on a single skid.
What is the value proposition of the L-Series hydrogen generator?
The L-Series can produce hydrogen on-site, on-demand for about 40% of the cost of delivered liquefied hydrogen, and 30% of the cost of delivered gas hydrogen. The L-Series requires very little CapEx to produce hydrogen. The cost of the hydrogen is driven by the cost of the methanol feedstock.
How long does it take the L-Series to produce hydrogen?
e1 has designed the L-Series hydrogen generators to operate from a hot standby mode. When the L-Series is commissioned, it takes roughly four to six hours to go from cold, or room temperature to hot standby. From hot standby, the L-Series can start producing hydrogen in 30 sec with full production in less than 60 minutes depending on the time of the last run cycle.
What are the electrical power requirements for the L-Series?
The L-Series requires minimal electrical power infrastructure to produce hydrogen. Approximately 2 kW of electrical power is required to maintain hot standby when not producing hydrogen. Approximately 1.5 kW of electrical power is required when producing hydrogen.
Does the L-Series have a weather proof casing?
The L-Series does not have weather proof casing and requires a cabinet or enclosed room designed for the site conditions.