Mobile Hydrogen Generator
M-Series Hydrogen Generator
Mobile (onboard), on-demand hydrogen generators
e1’s M-Series hydrogen generator takes our advanced fuel reforming and hydrogen purification technologies directly onboard fuel cell buses, heavy-duty logistic vehicles, and marine applications. The compact M-Series was designed to displace stored compressed hydrogen to support fuel cell propulsion applications.
- Extends Range of FCEV: On-demand fuel cell grade hydrogen generation produced from a tank of environmentally friendly, easily handled, hydrogen dense blend of methanol and DI water, increases the range of FCEVs beyond that which can be achieved with stored compressed hydrogen.
- Reduces space and weight requirements: The compact M-Series incorporates innovative design features which reduces space and weight requirements when compared to stored high-pressure hydrogen tanks.
- No stored high-pressure hydrogen: As the M-Series produces low-pressure hydrogen which is consumed by the fuel cell. Almost no hydrogen is actually stored on the vehicle, reducing regulatory hurdles.
- Scalable to support 30 kW to 50 kW fuel cell solutions: The M-Series is designed to produce between 65 kg/d to 100 kg/d of hydrogen to support 30 kW to 50 kW fuel cell modules.
- Vibration Resistant: Advanced fuel reformer and hydrogen purifier are vibration resistant providing long lifetimes in a mobile environment.
- Minimal power requirements: Requires minimal electrical power (< 700W) when generating hydrogen.
- Low maintenance: Advanced fuel reforming process and proprietary membrane purifier have few moving parts, robust design and a long lifetime.
- Reduced Emissions: No particulate matter, and low CO2 emissions. If renewable methanol is used, zero net CO2 emissions.
- Easy Integration: Flexible and compact, the M-Series will easily integrate into both mobile vehicle and marine platforms.
Target FCEV Uses
- Heavy duty delivery trucks
- Marine applications
- Mobile charging vehicles
Frequently Asked Questions
What problem does the M-Series hydrogen generator solve?
Mobile applications incorporating PEM fuel cells often do not have the space available to store sufficient compressed hydrogen to meet the range requirements of the application. The M-Series hydrogen generator takes on-demand hydrogen generation directly onboard vehicles eliminating the requirement of stored compressed hydrogen, saving considerable space and increasing the range of the vehicle.
How much hydrogen does the M-Series hydrogen generator produce?
The vibration-resistant M-Series hydrogen generator can be scaled to produce from 65 to 100 kilograms per day of pure hydrogen supporting 30 kW to 50 kW PEM fuel cell mobility solutions.
What are the extended run time capabilities of the M-Series Hydrogen Generator?
The M-Series reformer system utilizes a readily available liquid methanol and water feedstock stored onboard the vehicle. Depending on the size of the feedstock tank and the hydrogen flow requirements of the fuel cell, the M-Series can support range requirements of 500 km or more.
How long does it take the M-Series to produce hydrogen?
e1 has designed the M-Series hydrogen generators to operate from a hot standby mode. Utilizing a novel reactor design, it takes under one hour to go from ambient temperature to hot standby. From hot standby, the M-Series can start producing hydrogen in 30 sec with full production in less than 10 minutes.
What are the electrical power requirements for the M-Series?
The M-Series requires minimal electrical power infrastructure to produce hydrogen. Approximately 1.5 kW of electrical power is required to maintain hot standby when not producing hydrogen. Approximately 0.7 kW of electrical power is required when producing hydrogen.
Does M-Series have a weather proof casing?
The M-Series is modular in design. The major components (controls, reactor box, purifier box, BoP, buffer tank) can be situated within various areas of the vehicle to make the most efficient use of available space.