Supporting PEMFC Critical Power Solutions
S-Series Hydrogen Generator
Small-Scale, On-Demand, Hydrogen Generator
e1’s S-Series hydrogen generator uses our advanced catalytic reforming and hydrogen purification technologies to convert a mixture of methanol and DI water into high purity hydrogen, on-site and on-demand to economically meet the needs of 1 kW to 7.5 kW fuel cell power solutions. The S-Series was designed to displace expensive cylinders of compressed hydrogen for critical power applications where long runtimes are required.
- Low cost of hydrogen: Converts an environmentally friendly, easily handled, readily available, and hydrogen dense feedstock blend of methanol and DI water into fuel cell grade high-purity low-cost hydrogen.
- Low initial cost of equipment: Under the license, manufactured cost pathway of S75 (75 sLm of hydrogen production) in low production volumes is less than the cost of a typical commercial PEM fuel cell module. Supports fuel cell cost competitiveness against legacy diesel fuel solutions.
- Scalable to support 1 to 7.5 kW fuel cell solutions: S-Series is scalable to produce from 1 to 90 sLm of hydrogen. With minimal additional engineering, the solution is scalable up to 110 sLm.
- Long run times: Runtimes determined by the size of methanol and DI water feedstock tank. An e1 S75 hydrogen generator paired with one 55-gal drum of methanol/water feedstock is able to produce the equivalent hydrogen of 22 “T” sized cylinders of compressed hydrogen.
- Minimal power requirements: Requires less than 600 W of electrical power when in standby, and less than 100 W of electrical power when generating hydrogen.
- Compact design: The hydrogen generator is typically smaller in size than the fuel cell module it supports, and it readily fits into standard cabinets for outdoor installations.
- Reduced and simple maintenance: Advanced fuel reforming process and proprietary membrane purifier have few moving parts, robust design and a long lifetime.
- 100% turndown: Fully automated controls allows for load-following hydrogen production, reduces feedstock and hydrogen waste, and provides flexible support for variable fuel cell power demand.
- Reduced Emissions: No particulate matter, and low CO2 emissions. If renewable methanol is used, zero net CO2 emissions.
- Telecom cellular stations
- Security camera
- Railroad crossings
- Broadband repeater stations
Frequently Asked Questions
What size PEM fuel cell can the S-Series support?
The S-Series is designed to produce between 1 standard liter per minute (sLm) hydrogen and 90 sLm hydrogen. PEM fuel cells typically consume from 12 to 15 sLm of hydrogen per 1 kW of power generated, thus the S-Series is well suited and can provide hydrogen to fuel cells rated up to 7.5 kW.
What are the extended run time capabilities of the S-Series Hydrogen Generator?
The S-Series reformer system utilizes a readily available liquid methanol and water feedstock mix. Depending on the size of the feedstock tank and hydrogen low requirements of the fuel cell, the S-Series can provide run times of several days to weeks. For example, the continuous run time for a 5 kW fuel system supported with a 55-gallon drum of Methanol/water mix is 36+ hours.
How long does it take the S-Series to produce hydrogen?
Once commissioned, the S-Series was designed to be kept in hot standby with small electric heaters on grid-supplied electrical power. When grid power is lost, the fuel cell consumes hydrogen from a small buffer tank which provides a signal to the S-Series to produce hydrogen. The S-Series is able to produce pure hydrogen on demand and supply 80% of rated hydrogen flow rate within two minutes of receiving a signal from the buffer tank.
What is the amount of electricity required to operate the S-Series?
Electrical requirement for the S-Series is approximately 100W during “Run” (making hydrogen) and about 300W in “hot standby” (system is hot and ready to start making hydrogen in 15 seconds).
Does the S-Series hydrogen generator easily fit into a standard fuel cell cabinet design for a seamless interface?
The S-Series hydrogen generator has been designed to be compact and easily integrate with all commercial PEM fuel cell systems. All sizes of the S-Series use the same user-friendly controller interface and are properly packaged for mounting onto a standard 23-inch rack.
Does S-Series have a weather proof casing?
The S-Series does not have a weatherproof casing and was intended to be integrated into an approved cabinet designed for the site conditions.